Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Post 12 Pterosaurs

Pterosaur sketch by Kyra
Imagine a group of those flying out of a person and attacking you. Don't forget to add their black fur and red eyes. Not all the pterosaurs were like this though, just the ones that attacked us. So the black and red might just be the convocation's influence.

A lot of mistakes are made when it comes to pterosaurs. Mainly that they are NOT dinosaurs. Everyone seems to think that they are. I already said it in my last dinosaur post but it deserves being said over and over. Its THAT big of a mistake. Dinosaurs are a group of animals defined by the build of their skeleton. Pterosaurs are related but built differently, so they are not dinosaurs. I'm going to keep saying it until people start getting it.

They aren't the ancestor of birds either, raptors are. Like velociraptors and their relatives. Which can be seen by the fact that some predatory birds are called raptors too. I can see why people make the mistake  though.
Another thing that shows their difference is that unlike raptors, pterosaurs didn't have feathers. Most people get that part right though. But still make the mistake of showing pterosaurs with scales. Which they didn't have!

They had something that resembles fur. I say "resembles" because they're not hairs like us mammals have. They're called pycnofibres. It looks like fur but its not made out of the same material our hairs are made of.


Now most of this post seems like I'm just complaining about mistakes too many people make. But that's because too many people make them! Its like seeing someone use Internet explorer 6. It just shouldn't happen anymore these days!

The other mistakes I can handle, like showing a species with teeth when it didn't have them. Or the other way around. Maybe you show your pterosaur to be larger than that species was, it happens. But calling all pterosaurs pterodactyls is not tolerable! Its like calling all rodents guinea pigs. A pterodactyl was one species of pterosaur, not the other way around.

I was going to write more but someone is at my front door so I'll just stop here.

-Kevin

4 comments:

  1. You seem to have passion for these dead beings. I think that won't really come in handy though when they rip you apart. My suggestion...is to fight or to become a nest. These are the only two options if you wish to stay alive.

    ~The Fact

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dying men sure aren't smart. Kevin already said he would fight. Also, knowledge is power and he knows his dinosaur stuff. So if they come after him atleast hes a bit more prepared than most people. (As long as he doesn't forget these aren't normal animals.)

    Also, "the fact" GET THE HELL OUT OF MY CECILIA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't think so...ehm Alicia.
      I don't know what you care about Cecilia, but I'd be a fool to do that, it took me months to even get this far.
      Right, ehm...I just now see that you & Cecilia seem to be something of an item.

      How adorable, but that doesn't mean I'll just stop with my plans for the almighty power of love.

      Tell me Alicia, what's it like being in a relationship with a self-centered psycho?

      ~The Fact

      Delete