Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

post 5 dinosaurs


I promised you a dinosaur post and I wrote one! But it went extinct, sorry.
And I'm even more sorry about that lame joke. To make up for it I'll start talking about dinosaurs now. Because ancient dead reptiles are way more interesting than I am. No really, they are.

Most people would start a blog about a subject by explaining what the subject is. However I shamelessly started with sex and violence. And now that I actually have your attention I will start with the explanation of what a dinosaur actually is. (That is assuming I have your attention. But if I don't then you aren't reading this. So I don't give a fuck. )



Most people would describe dinosaurs as the giant reptiles that once lived on this planet. Those people are wrong, don't listen to them. Dinosaurs are tiny fluffy mammals that live on Uranus. The only part of that sentence that is correct is that they lived on this planet. And they still do live among us. They're called birds. But I'll come back on that later.

Then what ARE dinosaurs? Dinosaurs are a group of animals that descended from two groups of reptiles. I'm not going to use their names because you'll forget them anyway. The important thing to remember about it is that there are two kinds of dinosaurs. Both are classified as dinosaurs because of their skeletal structure. The lizard-hipped dinosaurs and the bird-hipped dinosaurs.(Fun fact, birds are actually part of the lizard-hipped dinosaurs.)

Most people probably already know this but not all of the dinosaurs were giants. Like I said before, birds are dinosaurs and I wouldn't call a hummingbird gigantic. Unless I was a bug, which I'm not.
Velociraptors for example were dog sized-ish. But that doesn't mean they weren't dangerous. They could rip you to shreds in a matter of minutes if they still existed. Its just that the giant ones are more impressive to most people. Which I can fully understand, I just don't care about size. *wink wink*

And if birds are dinosaurs then not all dinosaurs are reptiles either. And not all giant reptiles were dinosaurs for that matter. Before the dinosaurs there were other giant reptiles that roamed this planet. They don't get as much attention as the dinosaurs do but they were equally interesting. Maybe I'll talk about them in a later post.

Other giant reptiles were the ones that lived in the ocean. Like Plesiosaurs and Mosasaurs. Although their name seems to imply that they were indeed dinosaurs, they weren't. In other words Nessie ain't a dinosaur. (Loch ness monster)
The last group of ancient reptiles I'll mention are the pterosaurs. The so called flying dinosaurs. But as you'll have figured out by now, they weren't dinosaurs either. Which is interesting because it means that birds are closer related to the T-Rex than a Pterodactyl is to either of them.

And thats all for now folks.

2 comments:

  1. Alright, I'm obligated to comment here due to a compulsion of mine. Anyway, I like your enthusiasm for dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete